Assoc. Prof. Dr. Azman bin Mohd Noor is currently a senior lecturer at Institute of Islamic Banking and Finance, International Islamic University Malaysia. He was previously the Head of Department, Department of Fiqh and Usul al-Fiqh, Kulliyyah of Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences, International Islamic University Malaysia (April 2014-August 2015). He has been lecturing in Islamic Jurisprudence and Islamic Finance at the same department since 2005. He completed his degree in Islamic Law in 1997 at Islamic University of Madinah, Saudi Arabia. He did his MA in Islamic Criminal Law in 2000 at University Kebangsaan Malaysia (National University of Malaysia) and another MA in Muamalat (Islamic Law of Transactions) in 2001 at Department of Fiqh and Usul al-Fiqh, International Islamic University Malaysia. He obtained his Ph.D in Islamic Law in 2005 at University of Edinburgh, Scotland.
His areas of interests include Islamic law of Transactions, Islamic Banking and Capital Market, Takaful and Retakaful, Zakat Management and Calculation. He has been supervising MA and Phd students in the field of Islamic Banking and Capital Market at Department of Fiqh and Institute of Islamic Banking and Finance, IIUM since 2006.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com.
CURRENT PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIP
1. Deputy Chairman, Shariah Board, Al-Rajhi Bank Malaysia
2. Shariah Committee Member, Bank Rakyat.
3. Chairman, Shariah Committee Am Metlife Family Takaful.
4. Panel Pakar Muamalat JAKIM
5. Member of AAOIFI Shariah Sub Committee in Malaysia
6. MQA expert panel in Muamalat and Islamic Banking.
7. Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka expert panel in Fiqh Muamalat.
PREVIOUS INDUSTRIAL EXPERIENCE
1. Being Shariah Committee member of SME Bank (Malaysia), 2012-2014
2. Being a member of Shariah Advisory Council of Securities Commission Malaysia July 2012-July 2014.
3. Being Shariah Committee member of MNRB Retakaful 2007-2011
4. Being one off Shariah consultant for a number of local and international Islamic financial institutions.
5. Developing Islamic banking products, Takaful, Retakaful and Sukuk.
6. Being a trainer for Islamic Banking, Takaful and Capital market products and issues organized by IBFIM, CERTS, AMANIE and others.
7. Being a speaker at local and international level on Islamic Banking, Capital Market and Takaful.
1. Capital Punishment for Drug Traffickers (Hukuman Mati ke Atas Pengedar Dadah. Bahasa Malaysia); a Comparative Study between Islamic Law and Malaysian Law, published by DBP 2002, 2005.
2. An Islamic Pricing Benchmark. ISRA Research Paper (No.17/2010).
3. Joint venture in Construction 2, Contract, Governance, Performance and Risk, Kiyoshi Kobayashi, et. All, ICE Publishing, London, 2012. Chapter in a book. “The Application of Build, Operate, Transfer (BOT) Contract as a Mode of Financing in Developing Waqf Land: Malaysian Experience,”
4. Pelaksanaan Kanun Jenayah Shariah, Teori dan Realiti, KUIZM Publication 2014, Chapter in a book entitled “Kemampuan Penyelesaian Jenayah: Antara retorika Undang Undang Manusia dengan Shariat Allah”.
5. Kepentingan Memahami Maqasid Syariah Dalam Pembangunan Ekonomi Negara. Monograf. Indexs Syariah Malaysia Siri 1. JAKIM. 2016
Publications in Refereed Journals
1. “How Far the Legal Rights of Rape Victim are Protected in Islamic law?” The International Journal of Humanities, Australia. vol. 6, 2008.
2. “Takaful (Islamic Insurance) Benefit: Ownership and Distribution Issues in Malaysia,” The Journal of Islamic Economics, Banking and Finance, vol.5, no.3, Sept-Dec. 2009.
3. “A review of Shariah compliant instruments for Islamic credit cards as adopted by Malaysian Financial Institutions, International Journal of Monetary Economics and Finance, IJMEF, Vol. 2, No. 3-4 2009.
4. “A Shariah Compliance Assessment for Takaful Investment Link” Journal of Islamic Economic Studies, IRTI, IDB. Vol. 17 No. 1, June, 2009.
5. “Rape: A Problem of Crime Classification in Islamic Law”, Arab Law Quarterly, pg 417-438, volume 24 Part 4 2010. (Scopus).
6. “The Application of Wadi‘ah Contract by Some Islamic Financial Institution in Malaysia”. International Journal of Business and Social Science Vol. 2 No. 3 [Special Issue – January 2011].
7. “A Victim’s Claim of Being Raped is Neither a Confession to Zina nor Committing Qadhf (Making False Accusation of zina)” in Muslim World Journal of Human Rights. Berkeley Electronic Press. 2011(Scopus).
8. “Imposing Zakat on Legal Entities and its Applications in Islamic Financial Institutions.” Arab Law Quarterly, 27 (2013), 71-86. Brill (Scopus).
9. “Application of the Build, Operate, Transfer (bot) Contract as a Means of Financing Development of Waqf Land: Malaysian Experience”. Arab Law Quarterly, Volume 28, Issue 2, 2014. ISSN: 0268-0556. (Scopus)
10. “Build, Operate and Transfer (BOT) contract and its Models from a Shariah Perspective”, Arab Law Quarterly 28 (2014) 366-391. (Scopus)
1. “The rights of Rape Victim in Islamic Law”, IIUM Law Journal, International Islamic University Malaysia. vol.16, No.1, 2008.
2. “Hukuman Mati Mandatori: Satu Analisis menurut Pengalaman undang-undang Malaysia dan Syariah” Malaysian Journal of Law and Society, University Kebangsaan Malaysia, vol.12, 2008.
3. “Prosecution of Rape with a Special Reference to Pakistan Hudood Laws.” IIUM Law Journal, International Islamic University Malaysia. vol.16, No.2, 2008.
4. “Interpreting and Understanding the Command of God: A Review on the Authority of Sunnah in the case of Stoning to Death for a Convicted Adulterer.” Journal of Shariah, University Malaya, Special Edition 2008-3.
5. “Bay‘ al-Inah and Tawarruk as a device for Islamic Credit Card” USIM Journal of Muamalat, vol.1 2009.
6. “Punishment for Rape in Islamic Law”, Malayan Law Journal, Lexis Nexis, Sept-Oct 2009.
7. “Stoning for Adultery in Christianity and Islam and its implementation in contemporary Muslim societies.” Intellectual Discourse, International Islamic University Malaysia, 2010.
8. “Takaful: Analisa ke Atas Konsep dan Aqad”, Jurnal Muamalat Jakim 2010
9. “Penyalahgunaan Dadah dan Kewajaran Peruntukan Hukuman Berat ke Atas Penagih dan Pengedar Dadah di Malaysia Menurut Perspektif Shariah. Jurnal PEMADAM, 2011.
10. “Penyalahgunaan Dadah dan Kewajaran Peruntukan Hukuman Mati ke Atas Pengedar di Malaysia: Satu Analisa.” Jurnal of Fiqh, University of Malaya 2010.
11. “Pelaksanaan Aqad BOT Untuk Membangunkan Tanah Waqaf: Satu Kajian ke Atas Projek MAIWP.” Jurnal Syariah Jakim.2011.
12. The Application of Tanazul and its Shariah Issues in Equity Based Sukuk, al-Shajarah Special Issue: Islamic Banking and Finance, Journal of the International Institute of Islamic Thought and Civilization (ISTAC) International Islamic Univerisity Malaysia.
13. Aplikasi Tanazul dan Isu-isu Syariah dalam Sukuk Berasaskan Kontrak Ekuiti. Jurnal Muamalat, Jakim, Bil.8 2015/2016H.
14. A Framework for Determination of Actual Costs in Islamic Financing Products, Journal of Islamic finance, volume 5, no (1) 2016. IIUM International Institute of Islamic Banking and Finance.
1. “The Application of Wadiah Contract by Financial Institutions in Malaysia” Proceeding of Conference on Shariah Compliant Construction Contract, Kulliyyah of Architecture and Environmental Design, IIUM, 16th April 2008.
2. “Amalgamation of Muawadat (Commercial Transactions) and Donation (Tabarru‘) Concepts in Takaful” presented in absentia at Islamic Perspectives on Management and Finance Conference, 2-3 July 2009 University of Leicester, United Kingdom.
3. Determination of the Rate of Return in Mudarabah Investment Account (Arabic). International Seminar on Muamalat, Islamic Economics and Finance (SMEIKI 09), 21-23 October 2009, organized by Department of Shariah, Faculty of Islamic Studies, UKM.
4. “A Review of Commodity Murabah Transaction as Offered by Bursa Malaysia: A Critical Analysis from Fiqh Perspective. Journal of King Abdul Aziz University Islamic Economic. LIFE, Lankawi Conference on Islamic Banking and Finance, by Insaniyyah University. December 2010.
5. “A Rape Victim in Islamic Law: Protection and Compensation”. Azman Mohd Noor and Ahmad Basri bin Ibrahim, The Jurisprudence and Law International Conference, organized by Centre of Islamic Studies for Islamic Parliament of Iran (Majlis al-Shura Al-Islami), Qom, Iran on 15th -17th February 2012.
6. “Build, Operate and Transfer (BOT) Contract and Its Models from Shariah Perspective”, Azman Mohd Noor and Saidatol Akma bte Mohd Yunus, National Seminar on Contemporary Fiqh: Issues and Challenges, International Islamic University Malaysia, 18th-19th December 2012.
7. “Ibadah Korban dan Isu Mengambil Upah ke Atas Pelaksanaanya,” Azman Mohd Noor and Mohd Fadli bin Shamsuddin, National Seminar on Contemporary Fiqh: Issues and Challenges, International Islamic University Malaysia, 18th-19th December 2012.
8. “Hibah Mu’allaqah dan Pelaksanaannya di Dalam Produk Produk Kewangan Islam”, 9th Kuala Lumpur Islamic Finance Forum 16-17 October 2012, Inter Continental Hotel Kuala Lumpur, Muzakarah KLIFF 2012.
9. “Keranka dan Mekanisma Kiraan Kos Sebenar dan Pelaksanaannya Dalam Produk Kewangan Islam” (The Application of Actual Cost in Islamic Banking Product), 7th Mzakarah Cendekiawan Syariah Nusantara, ISRA Annual event.29-30 May 2013, Singapore.
10. “MLM Menurut Perspektif Shariah”, Seminar Kebangsaan Maqasid Syariah, Isu Isu Kepenggunaan; Realiti dan Cabaran, Organized by PUM and Karangkraf, 21-22 September 2013, Shah Alam Selangor.
11. “Tanazul and Shariah Issues Arising from Ranking of Rights in Sukuk and Preference Shares’ Shariah Advisor Workshop, Securities Commission Malaysia, 24th October 2013.
12. Pensyariatan Zakat dan Kesannya Kepada Sosio economy Ummah, Seminar Keusahawanan dan Kesedaaran Zakat & Wakaf Peringkat Negeri Perlis Tahun 2013, Dewan Warisan, 4 Disember 2013.
13. Instrumen Kewangan Islam: Peranan Dalam Menghapuskan Punca Jenayah, Seminar Menangani Jenayah Dari Perspektif Islam PUM, 22 Mac 2014, Masjid Negeri Shah Alam.
14. The Need for Perbankan Syariah (Islamic Banking) from Muslim’s Perspective, Seminar Internasional Perbankan Syariah from multi religious perspective, Badan Exsekutif Mahasiswa, Kampus STIM NINTRO Makassar, Indonesia, 19th June 2014.
15. “Halal dan Haram dalam Perniagaan Emas”, Wacana Kewangan Islam Masjid Hasanah Bangi, 1 November 2014.
16. “Exploring a new model of Takaful based on Cooperative insurance” (Arabic: al-Musharakah al-Ta’awuniyyah ka qaedah jadidah li al-Takaful: al-Usus wa al-Mabadi’ al-‘ammah wa al-tahdiyat), International Shariah Scholars Forum, Organized by ISRA and IRTI, Intercontinental Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, 10-11 November 2014.
17. “Prinsip Prinsip Shariah dalam Takaful”. Wacana Pendidikan Fatwa Muamalat Peringkat Negeri Kelantan, anjuran JAKIM dan Pejabat Mufti Kerajaan Negeri Kelantan. 3 Disember, Dewan Jubli Perak, Panji, Kota Baru, Kelantan.
18. “The Demand for Islamic Finance and Malaysian Experience in Developing Islamic Finance.” International Conference on Islamic Finance, New Trends and Developments, Jamia Markaz, Calicut, Kerala, India 31st March 2015.
19. The Application of Tanazul and its Shariah Issues in Equity Based Sukuk.19 Feb 2015. Baku, Azerbaijan.
20. Cooperative Takaful as a New Operational Model: A Conceptual Study
3rd Asean International Conference on Islamic Finance 2015
18-19th November 2015Sultan Agung Islamic University, Indonesia (UNISSULA
21.“A Framwork and Mechanism for the Calculation of Actual Costs in Islamic Financing Products, 3rd International Conference of Entrepreneurial Finance (CIFEMA’ 2015) Transition p Islamic Finance;aproaches and challenges, Ibn Zohr University, Agadir, Morocco 11-12 December 2015.
22. “Qalb al Dayn Dalam Kewangan Islam: Analisis Syariah dari Segi Perspektif Pelanggan Musir dan Mu’sir”. ( Debt Rollover in Islamic Finance: An analysis from Sharoah Perspective on the solvent and dissolvent customers). 10th Muzakarah Cendekiawan Shari’ah Nusantara (the Regional Shari’ah Scholar Dialogue), organized by the International Shari’ah Research Academy for Islamic Finance (ISRA). Sama Sama Hotel, Sepang, 1st-2nd June 2016.
23. “Hukum Berkaitan Jual-Beli Emas Online” (Online Trading of gold). Konvensyen Fiqh dan Teknologi, Universiti Malaysia Pahang, 3-4 September 2016, Hotel MS Garden, Kuantan Pahang.
24. “Major Maintenance Issues of Abandon House Project in Ijarah-based Home Financing Products.” Abadoned Housing Project Conference, iium Institute of Islamic Banking and Finance, 7-8 September 2016.
25. “Zakat Obligation on Shares from Shariah Perspective,” 4th ASEAN International Conference on Islamic Finance (4th AICIF 2016), 6-8 December 2016, Equatorial Hotel Melaka, Malaysia.
Selected Presented Papers and Talks
1. “The rights of rape victim in Islamic Law” presented at International conference of Quran and justice, University of Leeds United Kingdom, December 2003.
2. “Prosecution of rape in Islamic Law”, Brismes conference, SOAS London, UK, July 2004.
3. “Stoning adulterers: a comparative study between Islam and Christianity”, Centre for Muslim Christian Relations Seminars, Edinburgh Scotland, February 2004.
4. “Preventive measures of sex crimes in Islam”, National conference of social problems in Malaysia, organized by Department of Sociology, IIUM November 2004.
5. “Problems in prosecuting rape: a victim’s complain and the accusation of zina.” International seminar on Shariah and Common Law” organized by KUIM at Golden Horse Hotel, September 2006.
6. “The Application of Wadiah Contract by Financial Institutions in Malaysia” presented at Conference on Shariah Compliant Construction Contract, Kulliyyah of Architecture and Environmental Design, IIUM, 16th April 2008.
7. “The Practice worldwide of Commodity Murabahah”, Case Study Al-Rajhi. Malaysia Islamic Capital Market Conference 2008: Key Building Blocks and Sustainability 18-19 June 2008.
8. “How Far the Legal Rights of Rape Victim are Protected in Islamic law?”The Sixth International Conference on New Directions in Humanities, 15-18 July 2008, organized by Common Ground, Fatih University, Istanbul Turkey.
9. “Ownership and Hibah Issues of Takaful Benefit: Classical discourse and Current Implementation.” Presented at ISRA Islamic Finance Seminar (IIFS), 11 November 2008.
10. “Investment Link Takaful: A Shariah Compliance Assessment. Presented at Isra Shariah Conference on Takaful (IDC 2009), Nikko Hotel, 7 May 2009.
11. “A Review of Islamic Credit Card Models in Malaysia,” presented at The International Kazan Islamic Bussiness and Finance Summit 11-12 June 2009 (KIBFS 2009) Repubic of Tatarstan, Russian Federation.
12. “Amalgamation of Muawadat (Commercial Transactions) and Donation (Tabarru‘) Concepts in Takaful” presented in absentia at Islamic Perspectives on Management and Finance Conference, 2-3 July 2009 University of Leicester, United Kingdom.
13. “A Review of Profit Distribution in Mudharabah Investment Account.” (In Arabic). International Seminar on Muamalat, Islamic Economics and Finance 2009 (SMEKI 09), Muamalat as Prescription to Global Economic Crisis, 20-21 October 2009, organized by UKM, Equatorial Hotel, Bangi-Putrajaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan.
14. “Takaful: Konsep dan Aqad”, Muzakarah Penasihat Syariah Kewangan Islam 2009, kali ke 4, bersempena Forum Kewangan Islam Kuala Lumpur (KLIFF 2009), 2 November 2009, Hotel Nikko, Kuala Lumpur.
15. “Shariah Governance and Regulatory Framework for Islamic Financial Institutions in Malaysia” Seminar (Lokakarya) Membangun Sistem Pengawasan Lembaga Keuangan Syariah di Provinsi Aceh”10 November 2009, Aula Dinas Syariat Islam Provinsi Aceh dan IAIN al-Raniri, Aceh, Indonesia.
16. “Frame Work of Shariah Compliance Audit at Islamic Financial Institutions: Experiences and Challenges.” Seminar (Lokakarya) Membangun Sistem Pengawasan Lembaga Keuangan Syariah di Provinsi Aceh”10 November 2009, Aula Dinas Syariat Islam Provinsi Aceh dan IAIN al-Raniri, Aceh, Indonesia.
17. “Family Takaful: The Status of Takaful Benefit and Issue of Nomination” 5th Asian Takaful Conference, 9-10 March 2010, Novotel Clarke Quay, Singapore. Theme: “Reality Check on Growth and Promise of Takaful as a Dynamic Force”.
18. “The Prohibited Transactions in Islam”. (Larangan-larangan Syarak dalam Muamalat). Organized by Majlis Tafaqquh Perdana Guru Takmir Bulan Disember 2009, Unit Takmir, Majlis Agama Islam dan Adat Istiadat Melayu Kelantan (MAIK). 20th December 2009 9Sunday) at Dewan Johor, Akademi Pengajian Islam University Malaya, Nilam Puri.
19. “Intoduction to Takaful and its Differences Compared to Conventional Insurance.” (Pengenalan Kepada Takaful dan perbezaannya dengan Insurans konvensional.) Organized by Majlis Tafaqquh Perdana Guru Takmir Bulan Disember 2009, Unit Takmir, Majlis Agama Islam dan Adat Istiadat Melayu Kelantan (MAIK). 20th December 2009 9Sunday) at Dewan Johor, Akademi Pengajian Islam University Malaya, Nilam Puri.
20. “Tawarruq as a Tool for Islamic Credit Card: A Shariah Compliance Analysis.” International Islamic Finance Conference 2010, 18-20 March 2010. Towards an Innovative, Stable and Global Islamic Finance. Grand Dorsett Labuan F.T. Malaysia. Organised by Labuan School of International Business and Finance (LSIBF), UMS, in Collaboration with Labuan Offshore Financial Service Authority (LOFSA), International Centre for Education in Islamic Finance (INCEIF).
21. “The Application of Build, Operate, Transfer (BOT) Contract by Majlis Agama Islam Wilayah Persekutuan Malaysia (MAIWP) in Developing Waqf Land.” 6th International Conference on Multi-National Joint Venture for Construction Works, 22nd-23rd September 2010, Graduate school of Management, Kyoto University, Kyoto International Community House, Japan.
22. “Takaful: Concept, Products and Shariah Issues”, Seminar on Insurance and Risk in Asia Pacific, 24th September 2010, Kyoto International Community House, Kyoto, Japan.
23. “Underwriting and Managing Risk in Takaful: Shariah Compliance Perspective.” Seminar on Insurance and Risk in Asia Pacific, 24th September 2010, Kyoto International Community House, Kyoto, Japan.
24. “Sukuk Market in Malaysia: Issues of Structuring” European Institute of Humanities and Islamic Studies, Paris, 28th May 2011, France.
25. “Imposing Zakat on Legal Entities and Its Applications to Islamic Financial Institutions” International Zakat Conference,Sustainable Zakat Development for Poverty Alleviation and Improvement for the Welfare of the Ummah, 19-21 July 2012 IPB International Convention Cetre, Bogor, Jakarta, Indonesia.
26. “Charging Fee for Guarantee (al-Kafalah bi al-ajr) and its Application by Deposit Insurance Corporation Malaysia (PIDM) for Takaful Benefits Protection Scheme” 8th International Conference on Islamic Economics and Finance, Qatar National Convention Center – Doha, 19-21 December 2012.
27. “Achieving the Right Balance Between Conformance and Performance-The way forward for Islamic Financial Industry,” IFSB-INCEIF Executive Forum on Sound Governance Practices, 9-10 Dec 2014, Sasana Kijang, Kuala Lumpur.
28. “Potentials for Waqf Development Through Islamic Banking and Financial Institutions”, International Conference on Waqaf, Trust and Endowment, no 6, Ranepa, 64 Vernadsky Avenue, Moscow, 28 Sept-1 Oct 2015.
PROFESSIONAL LECTURE, PRESENTATION AND CONDUCTING TRAININGS
1. Conducting a training and consultations on Shariah Compliance Framework organized by Amani Solutions for Maybank staffs at Dataran Maybank, Bangsar 11/07/09.
2. In-house RHB Training: “Fundamentals of Shariah”, Wednesday 23 December 2009, RHB Learning Centre, Bangi.
3. Shariah Training for Senior Management of Bank Muamalat on 8 December 2009. Speaker and consultant. 31st Floor, Menara Bu mi putra, Bank Muamalat (Head Office), Jalan Melaka, Kuala Lumpur.
4. Speaker and Trainer for FSTEP, Bank Negara Malaysia on Shariah Principle 22nd and 24th April 2008, FSTEP, Level 1, Dataran Kewangan Takaful, Jalan Sultan Sulaiman, KL.
5. Speaker for “The Challenges to Islamic Finance”. 3rd Intermediate Islamic Finance Course for Financial Regulators 7-12 March 2010, Lanai Kijang, Bank Negara Malaysia.
6. “Jurisprudential Issues in Underwriting Takaful Products”. (Power points presentations). Kuala Lumpur Takaful Conference 2009. Fostering the Takaful and Retakaful Industry:Emerging Trends and Key Opportunitie. Organized by IBFIM, 14 December 2009, Nikko Hotel, Kuala Lumpur.
7. “Family Takaful: The Status of Takaful Benefit and Issue of Nomination.” 5th Asian Takaful Conference, 9-10 March 2010, Organized by Asia Insurance Review, Novotel Clarke Quay, Singapore.
8. “Islamic Product Documentation: Shariah Compliance or not.”Conference on Contemporary issues in Islamic Home, Personal and Auto Financing. 2th April 2010 (Friday), IIIBF Main Hall, Damansara Campus.
9. Speaker for Conference on Contemporary Issues in Islamic Home, Personal and Auto Financing, Friday 2rh April 2010, “Islamic Product Documentations: Shariah Compliance or Not.” Institute of Islamic Banking and Finance, International Islamic University Malaysia.
10. Presenter for “Application of Tanazul in Sukuk”, Shariah Adviser’s Workshop: “Shariah Tools and Application-Contemporary Issues and Challenges”, 13 October 2010, Securities Commission Malaysia.
11. A discussant for Sheikh Dr. Yusuf al-Shubaily paper on Islamic financial institution intermediary in banking, takaful and capital market. 6th International Shari’ah Scholars Forum (ISSF 2011), organized by ISRA, BNM and IRTI, 30 Nov-1 Dec 2011, Intercontinental hotel, Kuala Lumpur.
12. A speaker at The World Halal Forum (WHF) 2012, “Halal and Tayyib” session, 2nd April 2012, Kuala Lumpur Konvention Centre, Kuala Lumpur.
13. IBFIM Trainer for in-house training program on Philosophy and Fundamentals of Shariah for Islamic Finance on 24-25 March 2012 for Senior Management of Malaysia Building Society Berhad. Mandarin Hotel, KL.
14. CERT Trainer on Stock Screening, Venture Capital and Reit’s for Islamic Finance and Investment School 2013 (IFIS Brunei 2013), 21-240 October 2013 CIBFM. University of Brunei, Brunei Darussalam.
15. CERT Trainer on Legal Documentation for Islamic Financing, 24th February 2014, Royal Chulan Hotel, Kuala Lumpur.
16. CERT Trainer on Structuring Islamic Financial Products, 04-05 May 2014, Royal Chulan Hotel Kuala Lumpur.
17. In house trainer at Asian Finance Bank on Mudharabah, Ijarah, Istisna, Tawarruk February, March and April 2014.
18. Being one of the panel speakers at ADVANCE FIQH INTERACTIVE FORUM (AFIF 2014) on Thursday 4 September 2014 at Sasana Kijang, organized by International Shariah Research Academy for Islamic Finance (ISRA) in collaboration with Global Islamic Finance Forum (GIFF 2014).
19. Discussant for ISRA thematic workshop on Tanazul and its application in Sukuk and Preference shares. The paper was prepared by Dr Shamsiah and Ustaz Badrudin of ISRA, Lanai Kijang, 15th October 2014.
20. In house training at OCBC Islamic, on Musharakah and Mudarabah, 17 November 2014.
21. 2 days training on fundamental of Islamic Banking and Shariah Governance Framework (Arabic), to audience form Middle East 22-23 August 2016. International Institute of Islamic Banking and Finance, International Islamic University Malaysia.
22. Training of Shariah Standards in Islamic Financial Institutions, Jakarta, Indonesia 5th -9th September 2016. Kementerian Keuwanagn Indonesia, IRTI.
23. Training on Developing Waqf using Sukuk to Cagamas, Cagamas Berhad, the Gardens Residence,Mid Valley City, KL, 27 October 2016
1. Banking and Capital Market: Being a Shariah committee of al-Rajhi Bank Malaysia since 2006 from the very early days of the setup of the bank, directly involved in structuring Shariah compliant products which includes deposit takings, retail, corporate, treasury products, unit trusts and sukuk, Shariah governance, Shariah audit, legal documentations. Being a Shariah committee for Sukuk ALIM, issued by Cagamas 2010. Being involved in finding solutions to Tawarruq/Commodity Murabahah for Al-Rajhi Bank.
2. Being involved in structuring alternative Shariah compliance debt factoring, trading of debts and receivables based on bay’ al-dayn against commodity.
3. Takaful and Retakaful: Being involved in developing and structuring retakaful and takaful concepts and products at MNRB Retakaful and Am Takaful.
RESEARCH WORKS AND CONSULTATIONS
o Practical Means of Investing Waqf Assets (Arabic)
o Ownership and Hibah Issues of Takaful Benefit: Classical discourse and Current Implementation
o Investment Link Takaful. A Shariah Compliance Assessment. (May 2009)
o A Combination between Muawadah (Commercial Exchange) and Tabarru’ (donation) in Takaful Investment Links Products.
o A Review of Islamic Credit Card as Practised by Malaysian Financial Institution. (April 2009).
o Tawarruk as an Underlying Instrument for Islamic Credit Card (June 2009).
o Structuring PIDM Shariah Compliance Business Operation Model, Head Committee/Principal Researcher, March -August 2008. The Project was funded by PIDM (Persatuan Insurans Deposit Malaysia).
o ISRA. Benchmark Pricing for Islamic Bank. A member of a team led by Professor Dato’ Azmi Omar, ex deputy Rector of IIUM. June 2009-June 2010.
o ISRA. A Critical Appraisal of Shariah Issues in Sukuk-Developing a Comprehensive Sukuk Database-Focus on Sale Based Sukuk. November 2009-March 2010.
o IBFIM. Editing translation work of Qawa‘id al-Ahkam from Arabic into English, by Sheikh Izzuddin bin Abd al-Salam. (February-April 2010).
o FRGS: The Issue of Ownership and Hibah of Takaful Benefit. Principle Researcher, completed by October 2011
o ISRA. Structuring Islamic EPF. June –October 2011.
• Ongoing Research
o Zakat Treatment and Calculation for Capital Market Instruments (July-Sept 2015). Reseach grant funded by LZS.
o Zakat Calculation for Mixed Halal and Non Halal Income investments (October 2015-April 2016). Research grant funded by LZS.
CONFERENCE, SEMINARS AND WORKSHOPS ATTENDED
1. Seminar on Takaful and Retakaful at Istana Hotel, April 2006, organized by CERT.
2. Seminar on Islamic Banking and Capital Market –Products and Instruments, 23-24 May 2006 at Impiana KLCC hotel, organized by CERT.
3. Workshop on Deposit and Liquidity Management, 22nd June 2006 organized by Islamic Banking and Finance Institute Malaysia.
4. One Day Workshop on Benchmark of Islamic Index, at Security Commission Malaysia, June 2006 organized by SC.
5. One Day Seminar on Islamic Banking and Finance: Islamic Banking After 40 years at Rennaisance Hotel organized by Kulliyyah of Economics and Management Sciences International Islamic University Malaysia,18 August 2006.
6. One day workshop on Islamic Capital Market and Sukuk, September 2006 organized by Security Commission Malaysia.
7. International Scholars Dialogue on Islamic Banking, 8 and 9 November 2006 IOI Marriot hotel organized by Bank Negara Malaysia.
8. Muzakarah Penasihat Shariah Kebangsaan, 25 Nov 2006, PWTC, organized by Amanie Bussiness Solutions Sdn Bhd.
9. Muktamar Majma Fiqhi on 7-11 July 2007 at J.W. Marriot Putrajaya.
10. Muzakarah Pakar Takaful (Takaful expert discourse), organized by MTA 31/7/2007, Palm Garden, IOI resort, Puterajaya.
11. Shariah Council workshop on Strengthening the understanding of Islamic Capital Market Product (Bengkel Penasihat Shariah: Pengukuhan Pemahaman Tentang Produk Pasaran Modal Islam), organized by Security Commission Malaysia, 2 August 2007.
12. Muzakarah Pakar Takaful (Takaful expert discourse), organized by MTA 4-5 September 2007 at KLIA Pan Pasific Hotel.
13. National Islamic Capital Forum. “Product Innovation-Islamic ETF and Commdity Murabahah” Securities Commission, Kuala Lumpur, 27 March 2008.
14. Muzakarah Ahli-Ahli Majlis Penasihat Shariah Institusi Kewangan Malaysia kali ke 4, 16-18 April 2008, Hotel Renaissance Melaka.
15. Forum Shariah Kewangan Islam Antarabangsa kali ke 3, Kuala Lumpur 2008, Istana Hotel 17 November 2008.
16. International Shari’ah Scholars Dialogue (ISSD 2008), 23-24 December 2008, ISRA, Bank Negara, Hilton Hotel Kuala Lumpur.
17. Muzakarah Cendekiawan Shariah Nusantara, (Annual Islamic Finance Forum organised by ISRA and Bank Negara Malaysia) Jakarta, Indonesia, 25-26 May 2009.
18. Muzakarah Pakar Shariah (Kewangan Islam) Jakim, 17-19 June 2009, Hotel Pan Pasific, KLIA.
19. ISRA-IFC Scholars Professional Development Programme (Monetary System, Capital Market products and Global Financial Crisis, Crown Plaza Hotel 13 and 14 July 2009.
20. Islamic Alternative to Monetary Policy Workshop, organized by International Shariah Research Academy for Islamic Finance, 17 August 2009, Nikko Hotel, KL.
21. Dallah al-Barakah Annual Islamic Economic Symposium, 26-27 August 2009, Hilton Hotel, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
22. 4th International Shariah Scholars Forum (ISSF 09), Organized by ISRA, BNM, IRTI, IDB. 18-20 November 2009, Nikko Hotel Kuala Lumpur.
23. 3rd IFSB Public Lecture on Financial Policy and Stability, 23 November 2009, Sasana Kijang, Bank Negara Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur.
24. SC-OCIS Roundtable & Forum, 15 March 2010. Organized by Securities Commission Malaysia and the Oxford Centre of Islamic Studies at Securities Commission Malaysia.
25. Dallah al-Barakah Annual Islamic Economic Symposium, 18-19 August 2010, Hilton Hotel, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
26. Muzakarah Zakat. A discussant for zakat workshop on the possibility of imposing zakat on the legal entity 3rd May 2011, Lanai Kijang, Bank Negara Malaysia.
27. Dallah al-Barakah 34th Annual Islamic Economic Symposium, 16-17 July 2013, Hilton Hotel, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
28. Close workshop on derivatives for SAC SC members at Sime Darby Convention Centre, 10th September 2013.
ACADEMIC AND TEACHING EXPERIENCES
1. Teaching Fiqh for Economics 1 at Kulliyah of Economics, UIAM (2008-2009).
2. Teaching Islamic Banking and Capital Market (in Arabic) at Department of Fiqh, UIAM. (2008-2009)
3. Teaching Introduction to Shariah Principles and its Application in Islamic Banking at the International Institute of Islamic Banking and Finance, UIA December 2007-March 2008.
4. Teaching Usul al-Fiqh (in English), Introduction to Islamic law (in English and Arabic) at International Islamic University Malaysia since July 2005.
5. Teaching Fiqh Muamalat (Islamic Law of Transaction) at International Islamic University Malaysia July-December 2007-2011.
6. Teaching Fiqh Zakat (in Arabic) at International Islamic University Malaysia since December 2007-2011.
7. Teaching Introduction to Islamic Jurisprudence for Diploma in Islamic Studies in Singapore on 9,10,23,24 December 2006.
8. Teaching Islamic Jurisprudence for Bachelor of Islamic Studies in Singapore, a joint venture programme between International Islamic University Malaysia and PERGAS.
9. Teaching “Islamic Banking and Capital Market” in Arabic for Fiqh Undergraduate students at Department of Fiqh UIA since 2008.
10. Teaching Master Programme “Extensive Textual Studies of Fiqh” (Arabic) Sem 1 2010/2011.
11. Teaching Usul al-Fiqh at INCEIF for postgraduate students, short semester June and July 2010.
12. Teaching Shariah Rules in Financial Transactions at INCEIF Sept-December 2010.(year 2010/2011).
13. Teaching Phd Course “Contemporary Issues in Economics” December March 2010-2011.
14. Teaching MBA course Fiqh Muamalat for Banking and Finance, at Management and Bussiness Centre, International Islamic University Malaysia, April- July 2011.
15. Supervising Master and Phd students at the Department of Fiqh and Usul al-Fiqh and International Institute of Islamic Banking and Finance since 2006.
16. Being examiner for MA and Phd theses internally and externally.
Name of Student Title of Thesis Year of Submission
1. Omar Muhammaed Idris The Concept of Mal and its Application for the Issuance of Sukuk (IIIBF) Completed July 2009
2. Rafidah binti Hj Mohd Azli Islamic Credit Card as Introduced by Islamic Fiancial Institutions: A Critical Analysis on its Structure and Operation from Shariah Point of View
Completed June 2009 s
3.Abdul Kabir Ballelu Adelani تقاسم الربح والخسارة لعقد المضاربة في البنوك الإسلامية الماليزية Completed June 2009
4. Saidatolakma Mohd Yunus BOT contract and its Application in Developing Waqf in Malaysia CompletedDecember 2010
5. Nurfariha Mahdi Commodity Murabahah as Implemented by Bursa Malaysia: A review of the Bussiness Operation Completed
6. Sri Zurahan Distribution of Profits in Musharakah Sukuk In progress
7. Muhammad Sharif Charging fees for Guarantee: A study of PIDM Completed January 2011
8. Habibullah Currencies Pegging in Controlling Inflation from Shariah Perspective Completed January 2011
9. Muhammad Adnan bin Hasan Islamic Swaps: Towards Innovation in Islamic Derivatives Instruments Completed October 2010 (iibf)
10. Mustazah Islamic Banking in Singapore Completing Phd proposal (iibf)
11.Amni Suhailah binti Abrahan Al-Wakalah bi al-Istithmar as a Deposit Taking instrument in Malaysian Islamic Institutions: A Critical Analysis from Fiqh Perspective.” Completed 2012
12.Yahuza Husaini The Shariah perspective over “Adashi” programme in Nigeria. In progress, since 2009.
13.Nayif al-Shamri الإمتيازات والحوافز لعملاء المصارف: بنك قطر الوطني الإسلامي نموذجا Completed 2013
14. Saidatul Akmal Purification of Non Halal Income at Islamic Financial Institutions In progress at IIBF
15. Muhammad Nasir Harun Tanazul and its Application in Sukuk In progress at Department of Fiqh
16. Muhammad Sharif Defaults and Debt Restructuring at Islamic Banks Completed at IIBF
17 Habeebullah Zakaria Al Jahalah in Istisna Contract Completed at Department of Fiqh and Usul al-Fiqh, viva on 2nd December 2016
17. Yusyau Zakariyah PROSPECTS OF ESTABLISHING CASH WAQF IN LAGOS STATE, NIGERIA : MALAYSIA AND TURKEY AS CASE STUDY IIIBF, August 2016
(To add more tables, place the cursor in the last box and then press Tab in your keyboard)
• Theses Examination
Name of Student Title of Thesis Year of Submission
1. Ahmad Tarmidzi al-Muttaqi bin Mahmood Bay‘ bi Thaman Ajil (BBA) in House Financing as Implemented by Malaysian Financial Institution. MA 2007
2. Ahmad Fadluddin bin Ahmad السب وعقوبته في الفقه الإسلامي دراسة مقارنة بالقانون الماليزي MA 2007
3.Benaouli Mohamed Cherif بيع الدين وأثره في الأسواق المالية MA 2011
4.Abu Bakar Tijani Zakat Collection and Management in the state of Skoto, Nigeria MA 2011
5.Abdul Majid al-Kindy Contemporary Issues in Hajj Phd 2011
6.Muhammad Awwal Ghali توزيع الربح في حسابات الاسنثمار MA, USIM, Nov 2014
7. Sis Puteri Nur Farah Nadia bte Mohd Fauzi Proposed Framework in Assessing Claims for Construction Works Loss and Damages and Contractor All Risks Takaful Phd, Kulliyyah of Architecture and Environmental Design, International Islamic University Malaysia.
8. Hadi Ahmad Ali Al-Garadi (Kuwait) Al-Taawun in Committing Sin and Hostility: Fiqh Analytical study
التعاون على الإثم والعدوان: دراسة فقهية تطبيقية Department of Fiqh, university of Malaya, October 2016
9. Al Twijry Othman Ibrahim (Saudi) Shariah Perspective of Money Creation in Islamic Banking and the Need of MCF Model IIIBF, International Islamic University Malaysia
10. Abdulla FMN Alajmi Tawarruk Banking Economic and Financial Implications in the Islamic Banks: The Case of Kuwait Model IIIBF, International Islamic University Malaysia, November 2016